Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween Fun!!

Hope all are safe and surviving Sandy!  It was a big mess here all week - we just got our power back this AM but there are alot of people still without. Schools and work have been canceled for the week for most and gas is hard to find, and if you do the lines are very long.  We were lucky and only lost one pine tree on the side of the house but the devastation is great all over.  My Halloween was postponed to this Saturday, so the girls are looking forward to coming up and celebrating. Here are the girls dressed up for their Halloween last week.

 Rachel as a Cat!
 
 Sarah as Katy Perry!




My friend Denise sent me this recipe and I loved it!  The spiders turned out so cute!  The only change I made to the recipe was I used a yellow cake mix as that was all I had on hand.  Check out Skinny Taste for all the ingredients!  The girls went crazy over them!


My other contribution to the party was a big pot of Beef Barley soup.  I found this recipe years ago and when I want something to take to a pot luck or a party, I love to make this soup.  It always gets great reviews!

Recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery
3 cups water
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) beef broth
1 cup quick-cooking barley
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce (the girls prefer if I do not put this in)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried basil

In a dutch oven, cook beef, onions and celery until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.  Stir in the water and broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Add barley; cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until barley is tender.  Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat throughly.  I love to freeze the leftovers and have in my freezer ready for a day when I don't feel like cooking.  The problem is I usually don't have much leftovers!

Have a great weekend!

Thanks for stopping bye,
Nancy, Rachel & Sarah

No comments: