Friday, April 16, 2021

Recipes Boxes

 I have been making a concentrated effort lately to try and finish up any projects that have been laying around.  Several years ago - and I mean years - I saw a cute - VIDEO - where they decorated a cardboard recipe box they had purchased from Michael's $1 bin.    I thought that was such a great idea as the boxes themselves were really very plain.  So I decided to make some for Rachel and Sarah.  Both the girls have been cooking more and asking for some of my recipes.


I used some DSP I had laying around and one of my decorative punches to add some trim and glued on some ribbon as well.


 I used my Cricut to cut out the word recipes and also to personalize them with the girls names.


Then I started to write up some recipes I had in my stash.  That's where the delay came.  I had to make two copies for each recipe of course and the progress slowed to a crawl and took a back burner.  I finally decided to just give them to the girls and just periodically write up some more recipes. 


They really liked them and are now putting their requests in for other recipes. Every holiday or occasion that goes by I get a new request for something that was made.  This recipe box has also created conversations about where I got the recipe from and who gave it to me and if and how they were related.  When my Mom passed away in 2004, I inherited boxes of pictures of the family.  I knew who most of the people were but some I didn't.  This started me thinking that I didn't want that to happen to my kids and grandkids so I started sorting them all out and decided to put together a scrapbook of the family.  It was definitely a labor of love and took many months but I'm am so pleased with the final result.  This is actually what started me crafting, and I went from that into making cards and craft projects.  So now when the kids/grandkids want to know where a certain recipe came from, I now show them a picture of the person so they can place a name with a face.  

Thanks for stopping by,


Nancy

3 comments:

bread&salt said...

What an cute and beautiful recipe boxex! They match any corner of the kitchen very well. Unique recipes can be saved into this box. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

mamawcindy said...

Your recipe boxes turned out great, I have several projects that I never finished either. Glad to hear you used your Cricut. I used mine the other day too. Have a great week!

Leslie Miller said...

I enjoyed reading your post as much as I did looking at your pretty recipe boxes! I made sure to get some of Mom's recipes when she got older. Still make her fruit salad every Christmas. I can think of bunches more things I make because Mom made them, too. These things matter. Also, the scrapbooks and photo books -- me, too! I didn't inherit many of my family's pictures. Just a few, but they represent the family members. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe boxes and the stories that go with them!