Friday, August 2, 2019

Pop-Up Shadow Box Card

The family celebrated Joe's birthday over the weekend even though it is Tuesday.  I can't believe that I got everyone together again at the same time!  Here is Joe with all his girls!


Some background for this card is that for Christmas Rachel and Sarah gave him a fancy goldfish!  We always had an aquarium but when we moved from NJ to PA in 2004 we dismantled it.  The kids also had some fish off and on when they were younger and shared his love of this hobby.  He had the goldfish for about one month and came home from doing errands with another large fancy fish.  His logic was that he felt the first one needed some company.  Of course, he also bought home a larger bowl for the two of them.  A month later, I found him unpacking and setting up the 10 gallon aquarium that he had unpacked.  To make this story short, we now have 3 other types of fish as well and 2 snails!  The two large fancy goldfish are called Bubbles and Goldie!

I saw this card made by Jennifer McGuire and instantly knew I would make this card for Joe for his birthday.   It reminded me of how this adventure started.


I used Mint Macaron CS from the Share What You Love CS Bundle for my base card cut at  4 1/4" x 5 1/2" times two.  They were both scored at 1/2" and 3/4" and folded back.  My light color was Pool Party CS cut at 3 3/4" x 5 1/2" and then embossed with Hero Arts D 1628 Fancy Die.  I think the little fishes are so cute!!  I used Whisper White CS for the inside cut just a little smaller.  My stamps and dies are also from Hero Arts DC262.  Here is Jennifer McGuire's - video - on how to make these Pop-Up Shadow Box Cards.

The best part of these cards is that the fish are suspended with a strip of acetate and will move back and forth when you push the sides in and out!  I also like the fishes greeting!  The nice thing is this card will fit into a regular envelope.  I have made him a lot of cards over the years, but he says this is his favorite so far and has it propped up next to the aquarium!!  If he's happy, then I'm happy!!   I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I entered this post at CardzTV Challenge #95 - Anything Goes.


Thanks for stopping by,

Nancy








4 comments:

mamawcindy said...

Love your birthday card. Perfect for him. I can see why It's his favorite.We have had several fish over the years. When I was young I had a big fancy goldfish named Sunshine. She was always my favorite. Hope your doing well.
cindys-greencricut

Leslie Miller said...

I smiled all the way through this! First, happy birthday to Joe! He looks very happy in the pic with his beautiful girls. You couldn't have made a more perfect card for him. So fun that the fish move! Bet he loved that. Super cute stamps!

Denise said...

So cute! And Best Fishes to Joe on his birthday!

Tanza Erlambang said...

Happy birthday to Joe....

Great idea to include family gathering as one of Christmas cards background...

Have a wonderful weekend